The Hospitality Accountant will be responsible for the financial reporting, integrity and operational controls of Archetype, the full service 20,000 square foot fitness studio located within the JW Marriott Edmonton Ice District. Archetype fitness club combines the science of high performance, an invested team of expert trainers, and a comprehensive health and fitness offering in one exceptional facility located in the heart of Edmonton’s ICE District.
The Hospitality Accountant primary focus will be maintenance of the owner accounts related to Hotel and all of the amenities including fitness, food and beverage and shared services including building and property accounts.
The Hospitality Accountant will have daily responsibility for the Archetype fitness club and will work directly with the General Manager of Archetype and report to the SVP Hotels, Katz Group. The position is a critical component to execute the business plan for an unparalleled facility that will deliver a holistic approach to fitness and health.
Additionally, the Hospitality Accountant will also work with the accounting departments of JW Marriott Edmonton Ice District and Oliver & Bonacini Hospitality to consolidate the results for the Hotel and Food & Beverage operations and to reporting to the SVP Hotels, Katz Group with support and guidance provided by the VP Accounting, Katz Group Real Estate. The Hospitality Accountant will not be responsible for the day to day reporting of the Food & Beverage and Hotel operations.
- Implement and maintain acceptable accounting practices and procedures including balance sheet, income statement and cashflow.
- Manage receivables, payables, credit, payroll and cash handling functions within the accounting department.
- Prepare financial analyses of operations including variance explanation and make recommendations to ensure the achievement of business goals/targets.
- Develop and implement financial control procedures and systems, maintain documents for audits of property accounts, ensure compliance with government regulations, and comply with record retention requirements.
- Maintain the annual operating budget and provide analytical support during budget reviews to identity cost saving productivity opportunities for property managers.
- Maximize cash flow performance of the properties through controls on inventory, credit and collection, disbursements, deposits and remittances.
- Enforce, document, and establish adequate controls for all revenue and expenses and protection of assets, and ensure controls will satisfy or improve the level of guest service.
- Implements a system of appropriate controls to manage business risks.
- Ensures a strong accounting and operational control environment to safeguard assets, improve operations and profitability.
- Produces accurate forecasts that enable operations to react to changes in the business.
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Advises the GM’s and executive committee on existing and evolving operating/financial issues.
- Communicates financial concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand and drives desired behaviors.
- Ensures Profits and Losses are documented accurately.
- Monitors all taxes that apply, ensuring that taxes are current, collected and/or accrued.
- Submits reports in a timely manner, ensuring delivery deadlines.
- Reconciles balance sheet to ensure account balances are supported by appropriate documentation in accordance with SOPs.
- Ensures that the P&L is accurate (e.g., costs are properly matched to revenue, costs are recorded in the proper accounts).
- Leverages strong functional leadership and communication skills to influence the executive team, the property’s strategies and to lead own team.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting, in additional to a professional accounting designation or actively working towards a designation (CA, CMA, CGA).
- 5-7 Years of experience at Controller level, within a hotel or mixed use facility is required. Proven experience in dealing with monthly statistics relevant to a hotel including occupancy, Revpar, Revpor, gross profitabilty and net margin on divisional basis.
- Highly motivated, a self-starter and team player in a fast paced environment.
- Good working knowledge of computer systems, MS Office applications including Excel and Windows and payroll systems.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results orientation.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, confidence and executive presence.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate and manage well at all levels of the hotel.
- Strong problem solving and the ability to exercise sound judgement to make decisions based on accurate and timely analysis.
- Knowledge of all local financial legislation.
- Extremely well organized and accurate with superb attention to detail.
- Professional, personable and conscientious.